Day 1 of 7 in New York: Newark Liberty International Airport and Flatiron Building

While still in Sweden and Booking the Tickets to New York A Week Before.

The first meal I wanted to have was a plate of IHOP pancakes at the nearest IHOP restaurant. Things did not go as planned, though. We arrived after lunch at the Newark Airport in New Jersey. From there, we had to take the bus and the subway to get to New York, which took almost 2 hours in total. It took some time to get settled in at the hotel, and by the time we were able to go out and walk around, it was late in the afternoon and we just ate nearby.

After We Arrived

While walking around New York, I realized that the heat and the stench was a bit like walking around in Intramuros but surrounded by buildings in Ayala, Makati. It's not an exact comparison, just something that hit closer to home.

I'd recommend for any tourist to stay in New York for at least one week to fully experience the city, if time and budget permits. We arrived on a Monday at the Newark Airport in New Jersey, and left Monday the next week. First thing on our list: buy the MetroCard 7-day unlimited pass for only $29.00. A single ride would cost $2.50, and it actually takes time to buy a ticket (either your card won't work or there would be a long line to the vending machine). It would also be a waste to rent a car and drive around Manhattan because of the heavy traffic, expensive car fuel costs, and parking fees. They have very functional (although not-so-nice-smelling) subways, and it is the fastest way to get around, New York style.

The Flatiron Building

Above is one of the very first pictures we took of New York upon arriving at the city while trying to find our way to the nearest IHOP. The area where I took this picture have chairs and tables available for everyone to sit in, across the street from the landmark. It is wide enough for people to set up a performance area and bop your head to the music they start playing. Cool and cozy at the intersection between Broadway and Fifth Avenue.

We rested for awhile there and continued on. It was best to trust the printed maps available for free upon arriving at the airport or the reception area of your hotel. Google Maps will NOT ALWAYS be of help especially when trying to figure out which station is nearest the tourist spot you want to visit, whether it be The Empire State Building or the port where the ferry to the Statue of Liberty departs.

There are several types of maps for a tourist to use, we picked three. New York City - Official Visitor Map which highlights the tourist spots in the area, the MTA New York City Subway Map which details bus and railroad connections, and the Manhattan Map, which we used the most since it seemed to have a magnified view of the island on both sides of the paper, the major areas in New York, the railway guide, and it fits in almost any pocket perfectly.

Oh, and if it's SOP to bring comfortable walking shoes when traveling to another country as a tourist, it might as well be best to say that those shoes would be "mandatory" in this city. A tourist in New York actually translates to walking around town 80% of the time. Don't forget to always bring something to hydrate yourself especially during the summer. One other great thing while walking around this city is that bathrooms do not need payment to be used! Unlike for example, in Stockholm, where one needs to pay 5kr to 10kr every time you have to go to the toilet. Although, some coffee shops like Starbucks and Coffee Bean have PIN codes on their doors, which will only be given to you by the barista if you are a paying customer.

Starbucks Union Square, New York


My First Thoughts Upon Arriving at Newark Liberty International Airport

I was surprised to find out that you can RENT a cart to carry your luggage for $5! I don't know if they were refundable but the mere fact that I HAD TO pay for a cart just made me NOT bother to look at the rest of the information plastered on the screen as I was going down the elevator near the arrival area. It took us about an hour to get through immigration. They were quick and thorough, but I think it took longer because there were other flights that arrived a little before and after us that made it a bit too crowded. Oh, and the heat. It was summer, and humid. Ergo, it was perfect.

Before I moved to Europe, I thought there was only one type of warm weather, the humid kind. In Sweden during the summer, the sun just burns your skin. It could be windy at times, but it was dry, unless you were at the beach, of course.

After immigration, we found our way to the bus station that would take us to our hotel in Queens. We had lunch in the airplane, but I was getting hungry fast. Plus, I've been craving for pancakes and I only wanted my next meal to be in IHOP so I decided against stopping by a restaurant before heading to Manhattan. While waiting for the bus that will take us there from Terminal B of The Newark Liberty International Airport (costed $16 per person), I saw a young girl on the sidewalk, pressing simultaneously on the "walk button" to be able to cross the street. First with her face, her elbows, and then her suddenly free hand. Hmmm. More clicks go faster? Who am I to be judgmental, anyway? I mistook New Jersey for New York already (I thought Newark is in New York :D).

Newark Liberty International Airport
Newark Liberty International Airport


After alighting the bus and walking down the subway (yes, with our luggage), we had trouble purchasing two MetroCards. We were successful in buying the first card, but the second one failed and got debited into my account. We tried all the machines and one can only purchase the MetroCard from the ticket booth with cash (and we did not have any). So, after the 8-hour plane ride, the almost one-hour travel by bus from New Jersey to New York, the heat, the not-so-heavy-but-huge suitcases, AND my hunger PLUS thirst, I was about to scream my tonsils out when an African-American employee approached us. She asked if we needed help. She opened the door to the subway entrance and we were able to get in for free. Truly, it was the first time I realized that angels still live among us.

I guess the funny part was we could not figure out HOW that specific subway door opened, because my husband tried pulling and pushing and it just didn't budge. That angel of an employee laughed and said that we REALLY were tourists and first-timers in New York. Then, I learned that subway station doors open towards you if you try to come in from the outside.

First impressions on the subway: warm and has a certain smell, I think I even saw black mold. Oh well, welcome to New York!

My thoughts in Swedish: Välkommen till New York!

My thoughts in Filipino: Mabuhay, New York!

What I really mean in English is: Welcome to New York -- how many stops until the nearest IHOP restaurant already?

Comments